Tuesday, March 11, 2014

How This Came About . . .

The circumstances that have led to me looking to add a puppy to our household are not happy ones, unfortunately.  Although it has been at the back of my mind to someday - maybe - try my hand at raising a working bred Border Collie puppy, I had no plans to do so at this time.

Just a little over two months ago, we had four dogs in our household.  14 and 1/2 year old Sammie, who is plodding along in spite of some serious weakness in his back legs.  12 year old Speedy, who was in pretty good health other than some serious allergy problems and arthritis that he had lived and dealt with most of his life.  Almost 8 year old Dean, who, in spite of a bit of a hip hitch, is truly in his prime.  And "about 5" Tessa, a former street dog who is enjoying the early part of her prime.

I had figured that Sammie would probably leave this world sometime within the next year and then I would enjoy several more good years with Speedy, Dean, and Tessa as a trio, until Speedy was at least several years older.

Because Speedy has always been terrified of puppies, I decided long ago never to add a puppy to our household as long as he was with us.

So, I expected that a puppy, if I decided to raise one at all, was several years away.

This plan was not to be.

On January 11th we lost Speedy as a result of complications from a surgery that he needed very suddenly.  It happened fast.  It was a shock.  It was a horrendous loss.

It was literally a couple of days later when my husband said, "maybe we should get a puppy".  I had to admit that idea had crossed my mind a few times.  Of course, it was very soon at this point and we pretty much left it at "maybe someday".  It seemed then that it would be years before I would want to add another dog to our household.

The idea stuck with me.  And I couldn't shake it.  Then an online friend sent me a link to an article about loss of an extraordinary dog (which Speedy most certainly was) and the advice of the author: get another dog, same breed, as quickly as possible.  It rang true for me.

So, I decided to start putting feelers out there to see if I could get on the list for a future breeding.  I figured this would take a good deal of time - six months to a couple of years!

I was surprised when the opportunity to get on the list for two working bred litters came up right away.  True, I would be way down at the bottom of the lists, but it seemed that maybe one of these would pan out.

One did.  And that's how I ended up here - eagerly awaiting the time when my baby Border Collie puppy is grown up enough to come home!

Because of the circumstances, I waffle back and forth between excitement and grief.  Sometimes I think I am a fool to jump into this so soon.  And at other times it is clear that this is absolutely the best way to go.  Sometimes I think that all I really want is Speedy back.  And then at others I know that when this puppy is part of my life and I know him well it will be clear to me that Speedy had to go when he did and that it is a blessing that this boy could join us . . .


Speedy as a puppy, 3 - 4 months old, learning about ball play from his "big brother", Sammie.


No comments:

Post a Comment